Shenzhen-based electronics manufacturer; Xunlong Software Co., has announced the release of the latest member of its Orange Pi Family; The Orange Pi 3 LTS, designed for projects that require SBCs with high processing power but highly compact form factor.
Built around the Allwinner H6 SoC which features the Quadcore 64bit, 1.8 GHz Arm Cortex-A53 processor, the Orange Pi 3 LTS provides a slimmed-down version of the Orange Pi 3 with a few features, like the multiple USB ports, PCIE interface, and others from the original Orange Pi 3, sacrificed to reduce the size of the board and keep cost low.
Fitted into a Raspberry Pi like 85 x 56mm form factor, the Orange Pi 3 LTS features the high-performance, multi-core GPU Mali T720 with OpenGL, DirectX, ASTC, and support for Floating point operation greater than 70 GFLOPS. It also comes with a 2GB LPDDR3 shared by the CPU and GPU, and 8GB eMMC flash, and an onboard Allwinner AW859A, which replaces the Ampak AP6256 on the previous version, providing WiFi and Bluetooth 5.0.
For Interfaces, the Orange Pi 3 LTS replaces both the DC jack and micro-USB OTG port on the original OPI 3 with a USB Type-C input, and the 4x USB 3.0 ports and single USB 2.0 port with a single USB 3.0 and dual USB 2.0 ports. The board retains the 4K-ready HDMI 2.0 port alongside the GbE, the TV CVBS video output port / A/V jack, mic input, 26-pin GPIO, IR receiver, and a microSD slot.
The features and specifications of the Orange Pi 3 LTS are highlighted below:
- SoC: Allwinner H6: Quad-core, 64-bit 1.8GHz Cortex-A53 processor with multi-core GPU Mali T720 supporting OpenGL ES3.1/3.0/2.0/1.1, Microsoft DirectX 11 FL9_3, ASTC, Floating point operation greater than 70 GFLOPS
- Memory: 2GB LPDDR3 (shared with GPU)
- Storage: 8GB EMMC Flash
- Power Source: 5V/3A via USB-C
- Controls Systems:
- AXP805 Chip for power management
- YT8531C Network Chip that supports 10/100M/1000M Ethernet
- Wireless Connectivity:
- AW859A WIFI+Bluetooth Chip
- Support IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- Support BT5.0
- IR Receiver for IR remote control
- HDMI 2.0a output
- TV CVBS output
- HDMI Output
- 3.5mm Audio output port
- Micro SD card slot
- USB: 1x USB 3.0 host, 2x USB 2.0 host
- Peripherals (low-level): 26pin connector with 1x SPI, Multiple GPIOs,1x I2C, 1x UART
- Power button (SW4), Power LED, Status LED
- Supports Android 9.0, Ubuntu, and Debian
- Dimension: 56mm*85mm
The Orange Pi 3 LTS is compatible with Android 9.0, Ubuntu, and Debian Operating systems.
The SBC is currently available for purchase for $35.00 on AliExpress and Amazon store, and since it is open source, docs such as schematics and other open hardware resources are expected to be released on Github soon.
More information on the Orange Pi 3 LTS can be found on the OrangePi website.